Monday, April 5, 2010

Celebrating Spring


One of my go-to meals after a long day of work is some Bacon Spaghetti. This dish is super simple and quick to make. The base of the dish consists of bacon, garlic and spaghetti.

I always have bacon on hand. Whenever I buy a package of bacon, I would group every 3-4 slices together in a plastic wrap then store all of these little packages of bacon into a double layer zip lock bag. When I need the bacon, I just take out a pack without having to defrost a whole package of it. The good thing about bacon is that since it's so fatty, with a decently sharp knife you can cut through the meat easily without having to defrost it.

I make different variations of it based on what produce is available. Since it's spring, I picked up some asparagus and zucchinis. In the winter time, I use frozen peas or I'll have it plain.

So here are the steps...

1. Follow the package direction to cook the spaghetti. Make sure you salt the pasta water!
2. In a good size saute pan, add frozen pieces of bacon cook till desired crispiness. I like my bacon a little soft. If you happen to have some skinny bacon, you can also add some more extra virgin olive oil. You want at least a tablespoon or so of grease to coat your pasta.
3. Add in your vegetable, garlic, salt and pepper and stir fry everything together. At this time, you may deglaze the pan with a splash of your left over white wine. Add the cooked pasta and combine on top of the stove for another 1-2 minutes. If you have some parsley or basil available, go ahead and throw some in there!

I fried up an egg and added some Parmesan cheese which I also keep in my freezer since I never use up the whole block. And then... it's dinner time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment